Pages

4/11/2004

'Tis good to be alive. Life is a gift, all of it ~ the dark, messy times, and the bright, joyous times when I can't stop giggling try though I might.

Johnny and I fought against our normal, sane sleep patterns and woke up while it was still dark this morning to attend the 6:00 am Great Vigil of Easter at St. John church. No, I did not handle it gracefully. I was my usual, obnoxious, grumpy self, even after a cup of coffee. It was worth it because the Easter Vigil is my favorite church service of the year. We walked into a dark sanctuary, sat in awe as Rev. Hall led the procession of the lighting of the Paschal candle, and he sang beautifully. Then was the liturgy of the Word, the order for Holy Baptism, and the Holy Eucharist. How I ever worshipped each Sunday without liturgy, I have no idea.

And, during this amazing liturgy, baby Samuel Stone Hartland was baptized all the while he screamed truly bloody murder. I don't think he likes baths one bit. I laughed out loud. I'd surely rather him scream his little head off than not at all. See, Sam is a literal miracle. His mom, Kristen, is almost completely healed of breast cancer. She gave us all quite a scare as she valiantly suffered through the pain and agony of the intrusive cancer, horrendous chemo, AND carried baby Sam in her tummy. All praise be to God, because things are looking up. She has a beautiful head of hair, looks healthy, and is a glowing mother. As I watched she and her husband David beam over their screaming child, I thanked God for Life ~ for restoring Kristen's life, for giving Sam life, and for my uncle Bobby's life as today is his birthday, and most of all for God's Son Jesus conquering silly ole death with His Resurrection after His great suffering and Passion. I also thanked Him for my life with Johnny which is simply perfect. I sit here typing in my PJ's, listening to spinning laundry, sipping tea, and listening to the rain, remembering this verse, "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
(Galatians 2:20)

It really has been a ridiculously Good day. After church we went across the street for coffee and beignets which would make my Cajun mom and aunts proud. Then we drove home and crashed into a nap, all curled up under the covers with Buddy the cat sitting on top of us. Our night will be just as fun (or you might say boring) as we sip red wine and watch Alias. I'm also hoping for dinner from Thai Racha.

{Favorite web site today: Pearlriver.com. I ordered 2 pairs of black, cotton Mary Jane shoes ($8.00) and one pair of blue, shiny, floral Mary Janes ($9.50). These shoes are much needed since Johnny and I were soaked by a mean storm last night as we ran from our car to our apartment after an outing for beef fajitas from Taco Cabana. I was wearing black Mary Janes, RIP.}

No comments: