1. Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier - Excellent.
2. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller - I'm not entirely on the author's wavelength but it was funny and some parts were good. Excellent music references, too (such as Patty Griffin).
3. Prayer and the Art of Volkswagen Maintenance by Donald Miller - Good, and made me want to hop in the Element with Johnny and get the heck to Colorado. This book has been re-titled Through Painted Deserts, FYI.
4. Stalking the Divine by Kristin Ohlson - Good.
5. Girl Meets God by Lauren Winner - Excellent.
6. A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken - Very good.
7. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi - Excellent.
8. Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi - Excellent.
9. The Vine of Desire by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni - Very good.
10. The Samurai by Shusaku Endo - Excellent.
11. The Small Rain by Madeleine L'Engle - Excellent.
12. Maus 1: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman - Excellent.
13. A Severed Wasp by Madeleine L'Engle - Very good.
14. Maus 2: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman - Excellent.
15. A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle - Very good.
16. The Summer of the Great-Grandmother by Madeleine L'Engle - Excellent.
17. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson - Freaking excellent.
18. Gap Creek by Robert Morgan - Excellent.
19. Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson - Excellent.
20. The Plot Against America by Philip Roth - Very good.
21. Two short stories, "Revelation" and "The Comforts of Home" by Flannery O' Connor - Freaking excellent.
I should also mention in addition to each year's Book List I read The Holy Bible and various magazines & journals. We subscribe to: Image, Paste, Mars Hill Audio (an audio journal) and Domino; I randomly purchase issues of Real Simple, First Things, Touchstone, Filter, No Depression, National Geographic, and Dwell. I read Delicious Living magazine, too, but it is free at Whole Foods.
Posted by jenni at 12:45 AM