Pages

2/16/2006

Love


In our marriage vows we promised to love each other through sickness and in health. I must say, one instance where Johnny's love is most evident happens to be when I'm sick. I contracted a mysterious illness on Valentine's Night at Breakaway. My appetite disappeared which was a shame because we dined laid-back style at Blue Baker and I didn't do justice to my potato soup in a sourdough bread bowl. As we unloaded Johnny's drums at Reed Arena* I noticed my teeth were chattering, I was shaking with chills, and pining over my jacket hanging in our closet at home. As I looked around I noticed the Breakaway crew nor the band were freezing. I thought, Uh oh, dear Lord spare me from the flu!

Yesterday was a cycle of feeling average/feeling BAD - 100 degree fever, chills, aches in my arms and legs, and zero appetite comprised the bad cycle. Sweet Johnny attended to my every need and whine, prayed over me, and ran to the store for popsicles, strawberry Jell-O, Diet Sprite, orange Gatorade, and chicken noodle soup. He tolerated me watching mindless TV such as Oprah and One Tree Hill (that's how bad I felt, folks) since I could not concentrate on my beloved books. Johnny even smiled every time I said, I'm going to die. I don't know what ailed me but I'm thankful to report I've taken a turn for the better. I'm still weak but I had a small, sincere desire to eat today - toast, Jell-O, a banana with peanut butter, and Diet Sprite. I also had a small bite of hazelnut biscotti milk chocolate which is part of my Valentine's gift from Johnny. He also gave me Pike Place espresso dark chocolate, a sweet card, and a dozen, stunning, crimson roses because he knows well my love of classic flowers (including lavender roses and calla lilies). Love does call for romance, flowers, chocolate, wine, and candlelight but it also calls for holding each other's heads while you vomit. In fact, Johnny and I think the following question should be included in all sessions of marriage counseling: "Will you hold her/his hair/head while she/he vomits into the toilet?" If you answer yes you just might be in true love.

By the way, I ordered birthday gifts for my brother from Amazon today and Johnny allowed me to order Real Sex: The Naked Truth About Chastity by Lauren Winner, for me of course. I love this man who understands the need of books.

*Dad, I will always love the smell of a basketball court because of you. Though Reed Arena was not hosting a game that night, I could literally hear balls bouncing and sneakers squeaking on the floor. And thank you and Mom both for holding my hair while I vomited.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Wow, Jenni, I'm glad you're feeling better. And that IS true love! I love how you described it. When I was vomiting a few weeks ago, Steven would have held my hair IF I had let him within 6 feet of the bathroom! Hahaha!

Loveyou.