Pages

7/24/2006

Five Senses From Friday (Day 16)


I am sharing my five senses today due to visiting my parents in Plano, TX for a family reunion last week.....

Sight:
1. A yellow spider creeping across my car windshield.
2. Baby chicks peeping in a box at the Farmers' Market.
3. Watching Johnny try to eat a cola nut out of curiosity. He concluded that cola nuts taste nasty.
4. Tabla Beat Science on TV - they rock.
5. Finding books on my list at the huge Half Price Books in Dallas, TX (5803 E. Northwest Hwy.): Florida by Christine Schutt, The Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, My Antonia by Willa Cather (with a foreward by Kathleen Norris), and Delmar's Integrative Herb Guide for Nurses by Martha Libster. I'm not a nurse, but the book is jam-packed with helpful information!

Smell:
1. Auric Blends amber oil perfume.
2. Young Living AromaGuard Meadow Mist deodorant.
3. Wyndmere Clearer Skin essential oil blend: lavender, geranium, rosemary, palmarosa, maychang, benzoin, and cedarwood.
4. Seventh Generation natural citrus kitchen cleaner. It works very well, too!
5. Aunt Nancy's house which smelled like vanilla and cinnamon.

Taste:
1. Vanilla Hemp I Scream! sandwiches, handmade in Boulder, CO. Hemp may sound ick to you, but I swear these frozen treats are YUM. They taste like frozen yogurt sandwiched between a big oatmeal cookie. Sadly, they are not to be found in Houston. But if you live in Dallas, get your butt over to the Whole Foods on Preston and Forest. You won't be sorry!
2. Jason Healthy Mouth tea tree oil/cinnamon toothpaste. It tastes amazing, and does not contain fluoride. (Mom, don't freak out) I've been reading that fluoride is not beneficial; in fact, it is most likely dangerous. For now, I am alternating between fluoride toothpaste and non-fluoride, but leaning towards no more fluoride. I believe a good diet, flossing, and a healthy mouthwash are the keys to excellent dental health.
3. Homemade lamb rogan josh!
4. Fresh figs drizzled with honey.
5. Delicious organic Greek food at Nikolini's Organicity. Christine and Steven took me there, God bless their funny married hearts!

Hear:
1. The new Paste magazine CD sampler while driving to Dallas. My favorite tracks are by Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians, Colour Revolt, Tim Easton, Ane Brun, David Ford, La Rocca, Bruce Cockburn, and Syd Matters.
2. The Strother family laughing at our reunion.
3. My parents' cute dogs, Jake and Kujeaux, barking. And barking.
4. A Paste Podcast which saved my sanity as I sat in traffic on I-45 an hour outside of Houston. I'm sure wearing headphones in the car is not safe, but I was careful.
5. Johnny and the Smith Band playing at First Baptist Church Irving. I know I'm a bit biased, but Johnny truly is an amazing drummer. To hear him live is impressive.

Touch:
1. Cutting up a banana squash which I sauteed in extra virgin olive oil and ate topped with sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and grated raw Parmesan Reggiano. I need to buy squash more often!
2. A bottle of Bi-O-Kleen laundry liquid.
3. Kujeaux's fluffy head.
4. Mama applying makeup to my face. I usually only wear concealer, loose powder, mascara, and lip gloss/lipstick; my Mom was instructing me in the art of blush, eyeshadow, and eyeliner - all by Burt's Bees.
5. Hugging Harley Cat when I arrived home (Johnny is in Oklahoma).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

would you pass me a bowl of that?