Pages

8/30/2007

Houston


Tomorrow Johnny and I will drive to Austin, TX for the Rocco DeLuca and the Burden show at Stubb's. We'll see the band with a high school friend of mine (Matt) and his girlfriend, and meet up quick-like with another high school friend (YiMay) and my aunt Denise. We'll stay overnight, make a quick pilgrimage to BookPeople, and drive home on Saturday. I could go on and on about my favorite locales in Austin, but rarely do I give Houston its props. There was a time in my life when I considered moving to North Carolina or back to Austin, but I've come to realize that Houston is home. I'm dying to visit North Carolina again with Johnny and we sometimes wistfully discuss moving to a mountainous region, yet we both feel as if Houston is home. It can be humid and traffic is a guarantee, but our city is actually full of good food, culture, and friends. Plus, my brother lives here and we love our Church.

I read an older simply photo blog entry about Abigail Percy who lives in Glasgow, Scotland. I decided to fill out that survey since my town is hip in its own right! When you finish reading my answers, why don't you complete the survey about your town? Leave a comment with a link to your blog, or just leave comments so I can read about your favorite places. Please. Even you Houston folk - I know there is much more for me to explore in this big city.

Your Name:
Jenni L. Simmons.

Your blog or Flickr address:
I think you know my blog address if you're reading this, right? I have a sadly-neglected Flickr account that I plan to tend to next week. Maybe I'll share the address after I do so.

Where do you live?
Houston, TX (one freeway exit away from Katy, TX).

How long have you lived there?
Since I was three years old, I believe.

What is your favorite way to spend an afternoon in your town?
Across town...
Stroll around one of the many great art museums or galleries - especially the Menil, MFAH, or the Contemporary Arts Museum...
Browse Bookstop on Shepherd...
A leisurely lunch at Empire Café or Café Brasil, reading and writing if I'm alone.

Empire menu items of note:
House coffee (with free refills and complimentary delicious little cookies), chicken pasta salad, margarita pizza, chicken or turkey paninis, an assortment of the best cakes ever (especially on Half Price Cake Day), minestrone soup, and their salad special of the day. I've written before about my old studio apartment literally right around the corner from Empire Café. I have so many good memories (walking around the corner during Autumn, sipping coffee and reading, then heading back home) and bad ones (flying roaches, a housefly infestation in my bathroom, faulty heater...), but overall it was a blast to live in the artsy Montrose district for a few years.

I have not dined as often at Brasil in order to describe menu details, but they have creative salads and sandwiches, and as always, fabulous coffee! It is perfect to just be at Café Brasil.

Some of your favorite haunts:
Café or restaurant: Empire or Brasil. Or Shiva (on Times Blvd.) or The Blue Nile. Everything at Shiva is amazing. The same goes for The Blue Nile, but I crave their red lentils, honey wine, and coffee ceremony (with popcorn and burning frankincense on your table).
Coffee shop: Taft Street Coffee. They sell books, and serve tea and Fair Trade coffee. Taft is also connected to Xnihilo Gallery which I love.
Bakery: Whole Foods, any location.
Independent shop: The Blue Hand (I could not find a good link - it's an old two-story house, filled with eclectic imports from all over the world, djembes and other African percussion upstairs...), or Katy Budget Books.



What is the best time of year to visit your town?
Autumn which starts in October-November here. January through April (or so) is also nice, but definitely not summer. Not August.



Bonuses:
1. While Googling for restaurant links and such, I found this NY Times article by Kathryn Jones who took a vacation to Houston in 2002. She referenced other favorite Houston spots of mine like the Rothko Chapel, the Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum, vintage clothing shops, and antique stores. But how have I not heard of Mark's - a restaurant in a renovated Gothic Church?! I've been meaning to buy a classic, "little black dress"; I think Johnny and I should splurge for a date night.

2. Allison shared with me today's featured article on Wikipedia - "Houston, TX."

[Photo info. and credits, from top to bottom:

-The whimsical spirit of the Montrose area, by Allison, a former Houstonite.

-MFAH, taken by another high school friend, Jay Hrivnatz. Isn't it cool how many high school people I still talk to? Jay is a fantastic photographer. I'm encouraging him to join Flickr!

-Taft Coffee, also by Allison.

-Memorial Park, yet again by Allison.]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark's is in the building that used to be Dream Merchant, but
shut down in the mid to late 90's I miss the old DM - it was my favorite place back in the day. I heard Mark's is good, but SUPER expensive. I just can't bring myself to dine there because I don't want to eat filet mignon where I used to buy my Doc Martens.

allison said...

Wayne took all of us, including my sister who was visiting from Baton Rouge, to Mark's on Mother's Day a couple of years ago. We had the small upstairs room all to ourselves. Moments after being served a luscious brunch Samantha began complaining of a toothache so severely we literally had to abandon our food and leave. At least I got a photo!
And I'd trade any entree I've sampled in Missouri for another chicken jicama salad sandwich seasoned with just the perfect amount of haberno pepper, at Brasil. Mmm.

Beckye said...

Have you ever been to the Brownstone Restaurant on Virginia St.? I used to love that place years ago. I'm sure it's changed, but it would be worth a date night or lunch date! MMMM it was so good!

Beckye said...

Have a great time in Austin!

jenni said...

Holly - Dream Merchant! I think Matt used to shop there, too.

Allison - Poor Samantha, and poor you! I hope you got a Gothic to-go box? :)

Beckye - I've not heard of the Brownstone restaurant - is that downtown? I'm all for a swanky date night or two!