Pages

6/03/2008

my bipolar music disorder



I'm really happy I purchased that Mule Variations CD. Tom Waits - what a songwriter. Today, the less hip-shaking ballads "House Where Nobody Lives" and "Pony" beckoned me to listen again. The lyrics to "Pony" are a beautiful complement to Leif Enger's new book, So Brave, Young, and Handsome, too (I find myself singing along):

I've seen it all boys
I've been all over
Been everywhere in the
Whole wide world
I rode the high line
With old blind Darby
I danced real slow
With Ida Jane

I was full of wonder
When I left Murfreesboro
Now I am full of hollow
On Maxwell street...
And I hope my Pony
I hope my Pony
I hope my Pony
Knows the way back home

I walked from Natcher
To Hushpukena
I built a fire by the side
Of the road
I worked for nothin' in a
Belzoni saw mill. I caught a
Blind out on the B and O
Talullah's friendly Belzoni ain't so
A 44'll get you 99

And I hope my Pony
I hope my Pony
I hope my Pony
Knows the way back home

I run my race with burnt face Jake
Gave him a Manzanita Cross
I lived on nothin'
But dreams and train smoke
Somehow my watch and chain
Got lost.
I wish I was home in Evelyn's Kitchen
With old Gyp curled around my feet
(Chorus)


You really need to check out Mule Variations. If you're iffy about Tom Waits' voice, just give him a chance on this album. It's lovely, raspy, it rocks - like whiskey for your ears.

I also listened to an All Songs Considered podcast with guest DJ Thom Yorke. It was amazing and completely inspiring - really great brain-food, which I love. I once was a folk-only girl, but no longer. I heard Radiohead's OK Computer long ago, and then I contracted a bipolar music disorder. My preferences became very eclectic. I pledged allegiance as a loyal [rabid] Radiohead fan as well, including Thom Yorke's solo work. I think I'm a better woman for it.

Now I'm listening to another All Songs Considered podcast, but this time T-Bone Burnett is the guest DJ. He's another musical genius. It's a serious treat to get into the heads of Thom Yorke and T-Bone Burnett just a little bit. Goodness, I've listened to lots of brilliance today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm thinking i need to subscribe to the "all things considered" podcast. t-bone burnett? amazing. same for thom yorke.

Robyn Jones Clark said...

you had a good music day too. :) i got to listen to claire holley play live last night at our bookstore. www.turnrowbooks.com you would love this place. we have had some great authors through here too... :)

Robyn Jones Clark said...

speaking of turnrow... peace like a river's author will be there saturday, but i'm going to louisiana. i'd love to pick you up a signed copy of his new book, do you have it? you can only say no, if you don't have it already. otherwise i'm going to pre-order it and pick it up monday.

jenni said...

Thanks for reminding me about Claire Holley! I already have Leif Enger's new book, but thanks so much for offering. It's a shame you will miss him, though!

jenni said...

And Kate - yes, you should subscribe to All Songs Considered - it's a good one.