Pages

7/27/2008

on my tongue



I'm not feeling superb today, so we decided to stay home on this Sabbath. Not our preference, but at times, necessary. However, God's mercy hovers over the stillness today.

We've had good conversations about important things. Johnny made me laugh. We ate a late breakfast. Johnny's included a piece of carrot cake, and I realized that I really love eggs. We lingered over the kitchen counter, snacking on leftover party-crudités and hummus (from Cedar's, a local restaurant).

J. read aloud to me the quintessential Scripture for my mood today ~ 2 Cor. 4:7-18. We prayed together. Johnny went upstairs for a bit, and I burned incense. I'm still hooked on autumn leaves though it's scorching-hot summer here. And Amy, if you're reading this, that incense is "my secret." You see, when Amy walked in our front door last night, she sniffed and said, "Your house always smells good. I don't know how you do it. It's cinnamon-y, yet something else...." I thought it was the carrot cake we baked, but today I figured out it's the incense - soft with a touch of cinnamon (among other things). When we have company, I usually burn a stick beforehand, then whisk away the dusty remains. Wa-la, a scented home.

This reminds me, one of our friends from Church drinks as much tea and burns as much incense as I do. She's one of the coolest ladies I know, an artist; older than me (though truly young at the same time), and thus very wise. She told me that for each cup of tea and stick of incense, she prays for someone. I love that idea.

I've also had a hymn stuck in my head - "In the Secret of His Presence" by Christopher Miner. Sandra McCracken does a beautiful cover of this song, too, but I was excited to rediscover Christopher Miner. I remember receiving his CD, The Calm of Paradise, when I worked at an indie music company. I remember because I loved the black & white cover photograph and each sparse song. It's a CD that quietly gets your attention. And now, I love the poetic title of his latest album, All Good Things Come From the Desert. "In the Secret of His Presence" is on that CD, hallelujah. The lyrics are great enough to list here, so I will, but you need to check out both Miner's and McCracken's versions. The melody will heal your soul:

In the secret of His presence
How my soul delights to hide
Oh how precious are the lessons
Which I learn at Jesus' side

Earthly cares forever vex me
All my trials lay me low
But when Satan comes to tempt me
To that secret place I go,
To that secret place I go

When my soul is faint and thirsty
'Neath the shadow of Your wings
There is cool and pleasant shelter
And a fresh and crystal spring

And my Savior rests beside me
As we hold communion sweet
If I tried I could not utter
What He says when thus we meet,
What He says when thus we meet

Only this I know; I tell Him
All my doubts, my griefs, my fears
Oh, how patiently He listens
And my sorrowed soul He cheers

Do you think he ne'er reproves me
What a false friend He would be
If He never, never told me
Of the sin which He must see,
Of the sin which He must see

Would you like to know the sweetness
Of the secret of the Lord?
Go and hide beneath His shadow
And this shall then be your reward

And whenev' you leave the silence
Of that happy meeting place
You will surely bear the image
Of the Master in your face;
Of the Master in your face
.


P.S. - [Happy birthday to good friends ~ Kemper and Kierstin! Oh, and speaking of beautiful hymns, I've heard some of Kemper's forthcoming album, and man oh man, it is gorgeous. So much so that at one point, I had to leave the room, not wanting to share the gamut of my emotions with everyone. I love his previous work, but this CD is like nothing I've ever heard before. Johnny plays and sings on a few tracks as well as a literal motley crew of talented others. Yes, I will alert you when the CD is available for purchase 'cuz you'll thank me.]

P.S.S. - [Whoops! I broke my blog hiatus again. Tomorrow, it's back to Curator-writing, I promise.]

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thank you for reminding me just how much I love Sandra McCracken's work! We can't wait for Kemper's new cd to come out either.

I'm glad you guys had a great time of fellowship to celebrate Johnny!!! You guys deserve to be surrounded by love.

Where did you get your incense burner? I can't seem to find one I like and yours is pretty. Also, I like the bird bowl thingy next to it, it's purty. lol. BTW, you'll have to come check out the little bird family (wooden) that I found recently. I have them sitting on a bookshelf and they look so homey there.

jenni said...

Thanks, Kimberly!

I found the incense burner a long time ago, and sadly, I can't remember where. Keep your eyes open, though, or Google - it's a common, basic wooden burner. The little birdbath was a gift from a friend.

Anonymous said...

the incense you gave me is making its appearance today. love it.

tea, incense, and prayer - such a great idea.

jenni said...

Oh, I'm so glad you like it! I need to burn that one soon, too.
:)

allison said...

Hello from the Glen! Wish you were here :)

Wow! Knowing (and loving) Kemper's previous work, I can't imagine how good this album must be. I CAN"T WAIT to hear it! When will it be available?

jenni said...

I have no idea.... I'll let you know!