Pages

8/28/2009

an interstate book club, and the curator's 1st birthday

["beautiful carving" by redrobinland]

Rebecca Tirrell Talbot and I have a joint article up on The Curator today. We read Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters on a new web site, BookGlutton. Then we sort of interviewed each other about the process. Rebecca is one of my favorite Curator writers, so I was thrilled when she approached me to write this piece with her. After you read our article, please join us on BookGlutton - we'd love to have you.

And today marks The Curator's 1st birthday! Speaking of thrilled, I was SO happy back in August 2008 (or July?) when the editor, Alissa Wilkinson, asked me to be a staff writer. There I was merely sitting on the couch, feeling sick. But I knew from her first e-mail describing the online magazine that I was definitely interested:

"In keeping with IAM's belief that artistic excellence, as a model of 'what ought to be,' paves the way for lasting, enduring humanity, The Curator seeks to encourage, promote, and uncover those artifacts of culture – those things which humans create – that inspire and embody truth, goodness, and beauty."

I submitted my first article - "Three Sanctuaries" - and it has been such a fun ride ever since. I've grown as a writer, and I'm still growing. I am ever-inspired by all of the other writers. I'm fairly certain that Alissa is the best editor ever, and she's an extremely kind and cool person as well. I'm learning even more as Assistant Editor, as I proofread after her brilliant editing. All of this gushing to say, I'm so grateful to have written for The Curator during its first year, and I hope to do so for many years to come. Thank you, Alissa, for all of your tireless work! And thanks for reading, y'all.

P.S. - The promised narrative blog entry is a-comin', but not today. I'm feeling semi-ick and my body is telling me to rest. But I took notes inside of the Menil on Wednesday and everything. Never fear - a blog will appear tomorrow or Sunday or so . . .

No comments: