Pages

9/05/2009

five senses from friday

[iPhone]

See.
-I feel that it's my duty to check out every single bookstore in Houston, one at a time. Yesterday, I perused the River Oaks Bookstore. They stock some good books, but barely any used books. 'Twas OK, but not my favorite nook in the city. However, I did want this lovely book about a Shaker community, but I showed great restraint.

[iPhone]

-I spied Jenni's Noodle House on S. Shepherd. How could I not love it?? By the way, I've started a to-eat list, for that one fine day when I can eat a variety of things, yeast-free and otherwise.
-"sweet relief" by Jennifer Causey. Butter Lane Cupcakes (New York) is also on my to-eat list. I love the pink rice paper lantern hanging outside the door, the minimalist cup/napkin design, and of course, the cupcakes make my mouth water.
-This beautiful world as seen through the eyes & camera of sophik.
-The visual feast that is the Anthropologie store here in Houston. I think this water jar/glass combo is a fabulous idea for hospitality in the guest bedroom, don't you?

[iPhone]

Hear.
-As I walked into Starbucks, two high school coaches were talking about their respective football teams. "They nearly kicked our ass!" I called my Dad to wish him a happy birthday and shared my eavesdropping ways. He said, "Well, it is Friday night in Texas."

[Coach T. ~ I love this show!]

-In fact, my Dad was prepping to coach a football game himself as we talked, the P.A. system blaring in the background.
-"I Heard it Through the Grapevine" played overhead in Starbucks, which also reminded me of my Dad. When I was in middle school, he and some other teachers donned garbage bags to play raisins (from the old TV commercial) in a pep rally skit. They danced to this song, God bless 'em. We do not appreciate teachers/coaches enough, not 'til much later, anyway.
-Wilco's Sky Blue Sky & Sandra McCracken's Red Balloon in the car stereo.
-David Bazan radio ~ I'm just now getting into this guy. I know, some things take me awhile.

Taste.
-An amazing custom salad from Whole Foods: organic Romaine, pulled chicken, garbanzo beans, black olives, cherry tomatoes, celery, baby carrots, fresh ground pepper, and olive oil.
-A Starbucks Americano to save the day.
-Johnny grilled steak when I arrived home. He has a way with steak, sea salt, spices, and a little butter.
-So Delicious coconut milk + 2 Truvia tastes like ice cream, hallelujah.
-Greek Matter of Flax crackers & fresh cilantro hummus from the Whole Foods deli.

Smell.
-Kiehl's coriander perfume + vanilla chai lotion is my new signature scent.
-Kiehl's pear and grapefruit perfumes are on my wish list . . .
-And yet, coffee is still the best smell in the world.
-EO French lavender soap in Whole Foods' bathroom is an especially good lavender.
-We're back to using my favorite dish soap ever: Dishmate Pear.

Feel.
-I had my eyebrows threaded for the first time yesterday. Shami said, "Oh, don't worry, dear - this hurts less than waxing." Um, yeah right. OUCH. But my brows look great.
-Thayers cucumber witch hazel ~ ahhhh.
-Grateful that my Dad was born, married my Mom, and that my brother and I joined the family.
-Thankful that I married a man who is truly a much better person than I am; I learn the art of charity from Johnny daily.
-Humbled as I pray from The Valley of Vision:

"O Lord God, Who inhabitest eternity,
The heavens declare Thy glory,
The earth Thy riches,
The universe is Thy temple;
Thy presence fills immensity,
Yet Thou has of Thy pleasure created life,
and communicated happiness;
Thou hast made me what I am, and given me what I have;
In Thee I live and move and have my being . . .
"

1 comment:

Christine said...

Beautiful day. Love Red Balloon. Your salad sounds amazing! And a brow pic, please.