Pages

8/03/2006

Snack Time

While reading more of Nourishing Traditions, I came across a Cultured Milk Smoothie* recipe. I abandoned smoothies for a time, but no more. I mean, I am now making homemade Kefir so why not? And what a painless way to eat daily superfoods. I did not have time to add an egg yolk and I decreased the Kefir amount just a little, but otherwise my smoothie honors Sally Fallon's (author of Nourishing Traditions and founder of The Weston A. Price Foundation) recipe. My concoction can provide 2 servings, but if you are ravenously hungry, in a hurry, and/or a wee bit gluttonous, enjoy the full serving. It is extremely healthy and non-fattening though that may seem impossible:

1 cup homemade raw goat's milk Kefir
Large handful blueberries
A handful goji berries
1-2 heaping teaspoons local bee pollen
A sprinkle of milled flax seed
1 tablespoon organic extra-virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons local raw honey

From the above-mentioned book: "Smoothies made with good quality cultured milk make a wonderful snack, quick breakfast or strengthening meal for invalids. Unfortunately, most commercial smoothies contain soy protein powder and problematic sweeteners. Fortunately, smoothies are easy and quick to make at home."

Place blueberries and goji berries in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process until well blended. Pour in a tall glass and enjoy not tasting the bee pollen. As much as I love "odd" food, this beverage tastes normal (pinky swear). FYI, I drank one of these yesterday and had energy for hours.

*If you would like Sally Fallon's original recipe as well as her other delicious suggestions (bananas, maple syrup, real vanilla extract.....), send me an e-mail, or buy Fallon's invaluable book. Please also share your smoothie recipes!

No comments: