Pages

6/21/2007

Busy

All the sudden, my at-home writing career is picking up. One project is my weekly gig over at The Sustainable Scoop. Today I gave a bittersweet review of Burt's Bees Repair Serum which I predicted. I also interviewed a musician today over the phone and sent off questions via e-mail for another interview to be posted on the Scoop soon. Ironically, I'm shy. Not as shy as high school days, but I am shy, not all that articulate, and I don't think well off the top of my head. In light of those personal traits, it's humorous (to me) that I'm asked to do interviews. But I do enjoy the interviewing process because I'm curious by nature, and I get to pick the brains of very brilliant and intriguing people.

In addition to recent interviews, I'm happily reading Anchored in Love: An Intimate Portrait of June Carter Cash by John Carter Cash. I'm reviewing that book for Americana Roots. And, a good friend of mine will soon start a magazine to feature lesser-known, great independent musicians all over the country. He asked me to contribute and I'm thrilled! Independent artists have always held a special place in my heart and very often their music is much better than famous pop bands.

Thus, I've learned a lesson this week in juggling work and home life while working busily in my upstairs writing room. Gladly making time for Johnny, preparing small healthy meals every 2-3 hours (good for my slooow metabolism), laundry, cleaning, and the like. I've managed to stay on top of laundry and dishes, but otherwise, I've slacked on cleaning, so our toilets look sad - worse than the mellow yellow day. Each day speeds up quickly and can you believe I willingly set the alarm* for 7:00 AM? I better keep heeding the lesson because I still want to explore short stories and write family memoirs among other creative writing projects. I'll learn to juggle, and continue to be thankful for a room of my own and provision of work.

Speaking of my room, it's under construction, but here is a glimpse:







Milo in my room. He is usually knocking stuff off my desk or books off my shelves, so I prefer him under this table:



*I really want one of these chime alarm clocks. Surely that is nicer to hear than a shrill beep.

No comments: