Pages

7/24/2007

Afternoon Snapshots

Our scanner is not cooperating, not even for Johnny, so I improvised with Photo Booth for this first photograph. It's a favorite picture of me and Heather circa November 1999 in my old apartment bedroom when I roomed with Holly. Heather and I were celebrating our birthdays. That picture is pasted in an old scrapbook and the caption reads, "Me laughing with Heather, as usual":



A cathedral mirror in the entry way - a wedding gift from Christine:



A view of the dining room from the stairs; still not great lighting. Oh well:



Another shot taken from the stairs - one of my favorite details from our house, and a view of the living room splashed with sunshine:



Milo watching me take pictures:



A new bird from Target, by IKEA chairs:



Our coffee table flooded with reading material and sun:



The book on the lower right hand side is a gift from Allison - an autographed copy of Love's Immensity: Mystics on the Endless Life by poet Scott Cairns. It is a book of sublime translations of the Church fathers. I like a translation from St. Athanasios in particular for two reasons. One, St. Athanasios is my friend Amy's son's namesake: Athan. Two, the poem reminded me of Heather and many other loved ones. I hope Mr. Cairns won't mind my posting his work:

The Death of Death

Put fear aside. Now
that He has entered
into death on our behalf,
all who live
no longer die
as men once died.

That ephemeral occasion
has met its utter end.
As seeds cast to the earth, we
will not perish,
but like those seeds
shall rise again - the shroud
of death itself having been
burst to tatters
by love's immensity.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Love it! I've been eyeing those mini chairs from IKEA myself! They look adorable in your house. And I LOVE that West Elm rug.

Beckye said...

What a great picture of you and Heather! THAT is how to remember her! You'll have many more eons of joy and laughter together! :D God wins in the end, and we get the benefit! I LOVE that!!

Amy said...

i remember that old apt in houston! goodness! it seems like ages ago! what a great picture of heather too. :-) and youe house looks lovely! i can't wait to see it with my own eyes one day.