Pages

12/20/2007

what a quote

My uncle's Christmas gift from Eighth Day Books arrived yesterday. If you don't know about Eighth Day Books, hop on over to their web site. Better yet, request a free catalog which is my favorite catalog to find in the mailbox other than Toast. When I need to give our budget a break, I read Eighth Day's book descriptions - enlightening and descriptive - and they tide me over until purchasing books seems more logical. The current catalog is over 170 pages of bibliophile heaven.

Tucked into my uncle's gift were two bookmarks. Eighth Day bookmarks (and catalogs) always feature amazing quotes. I rather loved this one:

"I have the immense joy of being a man, a member of a race in which God Himself became incarnate. As if the sorrows and stupidities of the human condition could overwhelm me, now that I realize what we all are! If only everybody could realize this! But it cannot be explained. There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun."
[Thomas Merton]

No, I'm not keeping the bookmark. I just wanted to share that quote before I wrap up my uncle's gifts. Last night I scored brown paper, gift wrap tape, ribbon, brown paper gift bags, and tissue paper - all 50% off at Hobby Lobby. With my collection of simply photo, port2port, and small stump gift tags, and colored twine, I'm ready to wrap. Camilla Engman kindly shared free gift tags, too! I purchased white card stock for those; her gift tags are PDFs to print out in your home. And let's not forget my humble stamped fir tree tags. Sure, receiving a gift is fun, but I love, love, to give gifts to family & friends. 'Tis "more blessed to give than to receive" is very true.



P.S. ~ This is eerie, but I gushed over Eighth Day Books this very day last year! I still want all of those books. I'm drooling here...
No. I'll hop on our library's web site and request them instead. I can buy them later; I don't have to own every book right now. Good girl, Jenni.

No comments: