Just one more thing before the Sabbath. Johnny and I baked coconut macaroons this evening much to my happiness. For my fellow Yeasties, the recipe is safe for you, too:
2 large organic egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
Dash of Celtic sea salt
1/2 cup Sweet-n-Natural (erythritol)
1/2 tsp. organic vanilla extract
3 cups (approx. 12 oz.) unsweetened shredded coconut
A greased cookie sheet lined w/parchment paper (I used coconut oil)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar, and sea salt. Beat until soft peaks form.
3. Then gradually add the erythritol, continuing to beat until the mixture is stiff and glossy. Add the vanilla extract at the end.
4. Fold the coconut into the meringue.
5. Scoop onto the greased parchment-lined cookie sheet in 1 1/2 inch mounds.
6. Bake for 18-22 minutes until the coconut is toasted golden brown and the centers of the cookies are set. The macaroons should still be moist inside.
7. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a rack to finish cooling completely.
8. Store in an airtight container.
[recipe from the Hotze Optimal Eating Cookbook. Makes 36 cookies if you use two cookie sheets. We made fewer, bigger cookies.]
Oh, and coconut macaroons baking in the oven is another great smell.