Pages

8/12/2008

coconut muffin recipe

First of all, lunch was fantastic. We didn't have cedar planks like we thought, but we did have cedar papers which turned out to be better - both prep and cooking times were much faster. Johnny did his amazing chef-thing and served beautiful Wild Alaskan salmon filets topped with basil, garlic, oregano, fresh ground black pepper, and slices of lemon w/a side of asparagus. One of my favorite meals, hands-down.

Secondly, we just put another batch of coconut muffins in the oven and I helped (I love to bake sweets). For those of you who are curious and/or yeasty, I'll share my recipe (a tweaking of Elana's gluten-free vanilla cupcakes).

:: Jenni's Coconut Muffins ::

1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking soda
6 organic brown eggs
1/2 1/3 cup Nutiva coconut oil (you might could try 1/3 cup instead, but I love the moistness from a 1/2 cup. It's up to you.) [I changed my mind. 1/3 cup coconut oil works better.] - [or grapeseed oil. I used just a tad under 1/2 cup today and it worked very well.]
1/2 cup Sweet-n-Natural (erythritol)
1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract

[preheat oven to 350 degrees]

1. In a medium bowl, combine coconut flour, sea salt, baking soda, and erythritol.
2. In a small bowl, blend together eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla.
3. Mix wet ingredients into the dry and blend with a mixer or hand blender until smooth.
4. Pour batter into 12 well-oiled muffin tins (I used coconut oil).
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
6. Test 1-2 muffins by poking the centers with a toothpick - it should come out clean.
7. Cool completely.

[if you are farther along in your yeast journey, you could easily add blueberries or other muffin-friendly fruit. If you don't give a flip about yeast, for God's sake, add dark chocolate chips or something.]

My doctor would probably say, "Don't eat these muffins every day", but there's nothing harmful in the ingredients. Coconut oil and unsweetened coconut products are way healthy. I will enjoy this batch and whip up another for a road trip to the Dallas area next week - to see my parents and attend Johnny's nephew's wedding. Then I'll take a muffin-break.

Maybe.

No comments: