Pages

10/30/2008

a very lame book review

I hate to go back on my word, but I just don't have a book review in me right now. I need to focus any shred of creative energy on my health, my home, and The Curator, for the time being. I'd love to write regular book reviews one day soon, though. I mean, I read quite a bit and I love to write. For now, if you will, let me just say that The Road of Lost Innocence by Somaly Mam was an extremely important read. Just when I thought I knew how horrific the sex trafficking industry is, I had no idea. Many times while reading, I felt very angry and nauseous. I could not get my mind around the fact that some evil people treat young girls - the very images of God - in such a despicable, unimaginable way. That parents sell their children. I'd picture my friends' children around the same age and shudder. You'd be horrified to know just how young some victims are - like 5 years old - though victims of any age are unacceptable.

At the same time, I'm amazed by Somaly Mam. I can count on one hand the good people in her life. Every other person physically harmed her body, lied, and treated her like trash, literally. Even so, she started the Somaly Mam Foundation to rescue and help countless other young girls who were sold into sex slavery. The following video is somewhat difficult to watch, but it helps you see why I admire Somaly Mam for her brave, redemptive actions, and also why we cannot ignore sex trafficking any longer. This sinful crime not only occurs in Cambodia, but all over the world.



I give The Road of Lost Innocence 4/5 five stars. It's not a literary masterpiece, but in this case, I think Somaly's story is much more urgent that my preferred style of prose. I do believe it is a must-read, and that Somaly, her co-workers, and every single victim of sex slavery should be in our daily, hourly prayers. Only the Lord can make this darkness to be right, and we should be involved in whatever way possible.

You can leave additional comments/book giveaway entries on this post, and I'll draw a name out of a teacup on Sunday afternoon (11/2). Perhaps the winner can share a better book review?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Books written from a first-hand account of abuse are some of my favorite books to read. I feel that Americans are very unaware of what terrible crimes are happening all over the world and in our own country. I'm putting this book on my list to read. Have you read "The Glass Castle"? I can't think of the author but she is the child of alcoholic parents and its an amazing story of not only survival but success in life.

jenni said...

Hey, Nicole! I'm putting you down for a book giveaway entry, 'k? I haven't read The Glass Castle, but I've been thinking about it.

Lauren said...

i enjoyed the glass castle immensely, although i would categorize it as a story of laissez-faire parenting taken to an extreme, *maybe* neglect....but i don't recall anything abusive. maybe i'm just drawing a blank? i read it over a year ago, and i do suffer from mommy brain ;)