Pages

11/07/2008

the curator ~ edition #10

[11/01. Diptych by Maria Alexandra Vettese (left); Stephanie Congdon Barnes (right) - click to see larger.]

The Curator, edition #10 table of contents:

Choosing Creation Over Destruction
by Matt Cox
A brief profile of the father of video games, Shigeru Miyamoto.

Chocolate Tasting
by Daniel Nayeri
Want to knock your significant other’s socks off?

3191: A Year of Beautiful, Ordinary Mornings
by Jenni Simmons
A long-distance friendship spawns an intimate photographic examination of daily life.

Though I wrestled with major sinus-y woes during the writing of this article, the Lord did not disappoint. He breathed inspiration into my fuzzy brain, pressurized cranium, and stuffy ears. Somehow, I typed sentences that I ended up liking. Actually, I enjoyed writing this piece immensely since I am forever inspired by the photography of Mav and Stephanie Congdon Barnes.

They kindly answered a few questions via e-mail - there's an exchange I didn't use in my article, yet I think many of you would find it interesting, too.

Jenni: What is your ideal morning? Ideal breakfast and beverage?

SCB: Wake up early, before the rest of my family (my daughter is a super early-riser, so I never get to do this!). Make Stumptown coffee in my Chemex. Drink coffee while reading The New York Times (hopefully, it's Thursday so I can read my favorite house and style sections). Have the rest of my family join me for eggs, bacon, and toast with jam. Go for a walk in our neighborhood.

MAV: What I do daily ... wake up, put on the kettle, post to the 3191 blog, do some stretching, make French roast coffee, take my time putting together some food (Greek yogurt and fruit, or eggs and veggies), sit and eat. I have been really trying to slow everything down in my mornings (when you get up at 6:00 am you have time) since I moved my studio out of the apartment. My work will be there when I get to it, so I try not to deal with anything before 9:00 am. It's wonderful. Quiet. Mine. I am spoiled by living alone, and I try not to take this time in my life for granted.

[11/29. Diptych by Maria Alexandra Vettese (left); Stephanie Congdon Barnes (right) - click to see larger.]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you wrote such a beautiful piece, jenni.

thank you for the salt bath tip!

xo

allison said...

That was a delightful article!

jenni said...

Thanks, y'all. :)

Kimberly said...

I'll take you out for lunch one day, my treat, somplace you've been wanting to go and we'll celebrate!

jenni said...

Thanks, Kimberly! I'd still like to hit up La Madeleine with you. :)

Kimberly said...

Mmm, sounds great!