Pages

1/20/2009

inaugural musings

Though we voted otherwise, Johnny and I are praying for President Obama as we believe it is right to do. Our ideal presidential candidate is a long time coming, so we pray for that, too.

As I sit here watching the inauguration, I pray words from the The Book of Common Prayer that my husband posted on his facebook:

"O Lord, our heavenly Father, the high and mighty Ruler of the universe, who dost from Thy throne behold all the dwellers upon earth; most heartily we beseech Thee, with Thy favour to behold and bless Thy servant Barack, our President, our Senate and Representatives in Congress assembled, and all others in authority; and so replenish them with the grace of Thy Holy Spirit, that they may always incline to Thy will, and walk in Thy way. Endue them plenteously with heavenly gifts; grant them in health and prosperity long to live; and finally, after this life, to attain everlasting joy and felicity; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

On a different note, I liked the inclusion of a poet in the inauguration ceremony. And I was impressed with President Obama's musical choices: Aretha Franklin and Yo-Yo Ma & Co.. Soulful, and beautiful. As Kierstin pointed out, Aretha's hat was pretty awesome.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the man who delivered the benediction. he seemed like a kind soul.

jenni said...

I thought his prayer was poetic until he got polytheistic.

Anonymous said...

I think that the Queen of Soul sang a classic American anthem beautifully today. The hat was perfect.

Love,

Mama

jenni said...

She always sings with perfection. I was semi-mocking the hat, but it did suit her. :)
xoxo.