Pages

1/07/2009

more goethe

Happy Epiphany, y'all! We took down our Christmas decor yesterday, but we left wise men hanging from various doorknobs and the star made of twigs in the dining room to enjoy throughout this season. I'll be burning frankincense, too.

So, I really don't know that much about Goethe at all (perhaps I should?), but I keep finding that his simple piece of advice is like some kind of natural antidepressant for me, and helps my brain get going when I have an article to write.

Today:

A little song ~ "1234" by Feist (from The Reminder).

A good poem ~ I read two this sunny-blue morning: "Eremite" and "Idiot Psalms" by Scott Cairns (from the January 2009 issue of Poetry magazine).

A fine picture ~

[the calendar above my desk, by Nikki McClure]

A few reasonable words spoken ~ I whispered these bits of prayer and Scripture in a quiet house with a mug of coffee nearby:

"I praise Thee for the life that stirs within me:
I praise Thee for the bright and beautiful world into which I go:
I praise Thee for earth and sea and sky, for scudding cloud and singing bird:
I praise Thee for the work Thou hast given me to do:
I praise Thee for all that Thou hast given me to fill my leisure hours:
I praise Thee for my friends:
I praise Thee for music and books and good company and all pure pleasures....

Let the Spirit of Him whose life was the light of men rule within my heart till eventide."

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."
[Jeremiah 29:11]

And I couldn't help but remember this quote by C.S. Lewis:

"I seemed to hear God saying, 'Put down your gun and we'll talk.'"

I can't tell you how often I need to put down my gun lately, and how the mercy of God is palpable. Yes, it is.

Time to finish that Curator article now. Be sure to hear, read, view, and speak beauty, truth, and goodness all around you, ok?

3 comments:

abigail said...

Love that quote from Lewis!

Anonymous said...

since you posted goethe's quote, i too have been recalling it quite a bit and agree that it gets the brain going. it kind of pushes you to be on a hunt of sorts each day, yes?

hope you got your article finished!

jenni said...

I just love great quotes.

I'm trying to finish that article today. Prayers, please? :)