Pages

9/11/2008

thanks a lot, ike

I've been in a foul mood since yesterday and Ike is not helping. I was all ready to pack up my medical regimen, drive to Dallas/Ft. Worth with Johnny, and hang with my parents. I've missed those two. However, it looks like it is Houston's turn with hurricane "excitement." Johnny just left to stock up on bottled water, batteries, plastic tarp, a battery-operated lantern, and cash. We live on the west outskirts of Houston, so thankfully, we should be OK. But since we might get a pine tree branch in a window or something, we decided to stay put tomorrow - tend to the house and cats, and offer the guest room to my brother or friends who live closer to Ike's destination. Heck, our couches are comfy, too. We might lose power, though. We're semi-OK with rustic living for a few hours, but if no A/C persists for too long, we'll just hop over to my parents' house a day or two late. Johnny is playing with our Church's musicians in Ft. Worth on Sunday night anyway, so if nothing else, we'll see my parents real quick, sleep over, and stop by the gargantuan Half Price Books on our way out of Dallas.

And yet, I'm still fighting the putrid side of my humanity. Almond tea, coconut muffins, and Marilynne Robinson's newest are helping some, as did the new Bible study at Church which started up last night ~ we are images of God, we have been redeemed in Jesus Christ, we are the temple of the Holy Spirit, we are the body of Christ (called to community), we are ambassadors of the King (called to mission), we are a royal priesthood (called to worship). Good stuff, right? The children of our Church are learning all of this in Sunday school, too. Our pastor copied a few excerpts from Recalling the Hope of Glory - the "Memory of the Center of Creation" chapter - for our perusal. The handout floored me, so I imagine the whole book is amazing. I read more theology in my early 20's than I do now, but lately, my theological interests have been piqued again. As Johnny says, everything is theological. I'll probably always gravitate to fiction, memoirs, and poetry more so, but as a word-lover, I'm rather enjoying diving into a bit of Greek and Hebrew here and there.

Speaking of our pastor (who rocks), he sent out an e-mail this morning alerting the Church that Morning Prayer will not be said tomorrow, thanks again to Ike. But knowing our troubled, vexed minds, he reminded us to "keep calm and carry on" in the best way by typing:

"Remember what is said of our Father,

'The Lord sits enthroned over the flood; the Lord sits enthroned as King for ever.'
(Psalm 29:10)

and our Brother,

'What sort of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?'
(Matthew 8:27)

May the Almighty and merciful Lord bless you and keep you
."

Yes. Time for me to cool it and ignore Ike's tauntings. And be thankful for sweet-scented candles and a new candle-care kit. They might come in handy.

[like the (poor) morning light, our healing brown grass, and the random blue bucket?]

7 comments:

Laura Leigh Dobson said...

im having gustav flashbacks. . . take care over there. i remember the stress too and the ruined weekend. hopefully you want have it as bad on your side of town. be safe!

Anonymous said...

johnny will protect you! and the Lord will, too. take good care, friend.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're ready for the potential hurricane fun. Hopefully, it won't be bad, but I'll be praying for you guys.

And today was a better day. I called in fat to work (aka. played hooky) and slept a lot. I hope you feel better. :)

jenni said...

Thanks, peeps!

Lindsay, I'm so glad today was better. I'm expecting the same tomorrow, crazy weather and all.

Anonymous said...

stay safe!! i'm glad you've got a loving husband, some cats and a good book to keep you company. - lmbg p.s. i caved and bought "home." it is wonderful!

allison said...

Ike is not the only one keeping an "eye" on you. We're watching anxiously from higher ground.

Last night Anderson Cooper reported "CERTAIN DEATH (!)" for those who stayed in Galveston in one or two story homes. Wayne called Ben, who was in the car, to demand he leave. Ben's response was uncontrollable laughter. I told Wayne to put the phone to the TV so Ben could hear the stream of dire warnings. The NEXT thing out of the newscaster's mouth was, "So the people of Houston are hunkering down and staying put."

None of the friends we've spoken to are leaving this time. Thanks, Rita!

Stay safe and dry, you. Keep those laptop batteries charged.

jenni said...

Hey, Laura! I'm glad you caved on the book, too. I'm really enjoying it.

Thanks, Allison. That Ben....
:)